Sunday, June 7, 2009

Storms and cells

We had a couple of decent storms last week, and I generally seemed to end up racing them home (on my bicycle)... On Thursday afternoon, the first thunder started just as I came up the drive - about 2 minutes later rain was pouring so hard it made a decent fountain of the neighbour's downpipe:




This next picture will probably be pretty dots and squiggles to most, but to me it's my "photo of the week", I took it with Kristin's microscope & camera. This is some awesome extramedullary haematopoiesis with a generous scattering of haemosiderophages in the lung of an alpaca. Essentially, you'd expect to find most of these cells in bone marrow, not lung, and all the brown globs are the result of certain cells breaking down red blood cells. Points for finding the immature eosinophils...... No points for megakaryocytes.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: