Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mega (lazy) storage at the OSU library

I finally made a foray into the main campus library last week. Until now, all the books & journals I've needed have been in the collection held in Magruder Hall, the veterinary building. However, when you need a paper from a 1953 edition of the American Journal of Roentgenology (still not entirely sure how to say that), an expedition into "Compact Storage" is required.

Compact storage consists of numerous long, moveable bookcases - here are most of the pre-1990 journals beginning with "S". And yes, I did feel a little like a foreign spy taking photographs of journal storage at about 7.45am.




In order to have the massive strength required to move all those bookcases, librarians are fed a sole diet of....



















But weaklings like me use the magic buttons of access.



















Mort & I are house-sitting for Elena & Patrick, taking care of their mad cats and pretty garden. I think this is a type of clematis:




I was on necropsy duty last week, and saw a really striking bone tumor in a dog's skull. You can see it compressing the brain (arrowhead), although there was no history of neurological signs and the dog certainly didn't appear to have been chronically ill. Turns out it takes more than brain compression to stop a Labrador eating....








Posted by Picasa

No comments: