Sunday, December 7, 2008

Turns out it's Winter afterall

Despite my denialist attitude, snow is forecast for next weekend. Yup, we're looking at a high of 2°C, a low of -2°C. And symbols I don't recognise indicating the form of precipitation to be expected. Well, we'll see if it comes to pass.

With that in mind, I pretty much spent the weekend knitting useful articles:

A hot-water-bottle cozy for the elusive hot-water-bottle....


It turns out most people here are familiar with the idea of a rubber bladder that holds hot water for comfort, and may even own one, and yet they're not available in any of the local stores. I eventually got a really flash one from Amazon.com (thanks to a voucher from a certain Weazel) - it's silicone, transparent, and (best of all) from Germany.

I've noticed of late that my ears have been getting somewhat tortured my windchill while I'm cycling to and from work (esp. on Friday morning, when it was -3°C), so I've made some ear-muffs that attach into my bike helmet:




On the upside, it now feels totally appropriate to cook and eat huge gobbets of fat (in the form of Christmas pudding), and we somehow managed to scrape together all the ingredients, including awesome slabs of suet.

2 comments:

Bar said...

I think you should definitely have sheepskin earmuffs!

Sue Piripi said...

Yes, especially sine the forecast is now calling a high of -2°C and a low of -8°C for Monday.....